Waltham Chase Trials MCC
Minutes of AGM 2019
Held at The Ship Inn, Redbridge on the 22nd October 2019
The Waltham Chase MCC was held at the Ship Inn on Tuesday 22nd October 2019.
28 members attended the meeting This being confirmed as a quorum.
Apologies were received from 6 members.
Thanks, were extended to all who had been involved with the Club and the running of events in the previous year.
The Club currently has 206 named members from 156 families, an increase of 25 from last year. There are 154 Waltham Chase ACU affiliated members.
In the last 12 months the Club has held 8 Club Trials, 6 Youth &Wobblers Trials, 3 Open Trials, 2 Centre Championship Rounds, 4 Easy Trials, 2 practice sessions, an Awards Presentation a Quiz and 2 Camping Weekends.
Most of the events went to plan and overall, we had a good year’s sport. When things do go wrong, we are mindful that all who help are all unpaid volunteers giving up their free time.
There have been some concerns that the Club holds too many events, however the consensus was that at as long as there are enough members volunteering to share the running of the events this was not an issue.
Whilst not being ready to call it a day just yet my aim is to get as many people involved to keep the Club running for the next generation of riders.
We do need your help. We ask for all members who can help in any way to add their name to the “Volunteers List” (See actions).
Andy Withers was also thanked for his excellent event photography and for also compiling our TMX reports.
It would be appreciated if you can purchase some original images from Andy to help cover his travelling expenses.
The Club is financially secure, with £2,359.99 in the day to day current account and £6,884.90 held in the Treasurers Trust Account.
The detailed Balance Sheet was presented showing that the major income was from entry fees, £19,136 and memberships, £3,114.00, both higher than in 2018. The major expenditure being ACU Insurance and levies, £8,729.05, Land, £2,760.00, Observers payments of £2,329,.00 and Awards £1,388.00.
The operational surplus for the period being £1,498.00. This balance is the accrual for awards and the Awards Presentation.
The Club also made various Charity donations through land use and members contributions. The donations were for Muscular Dystrophy - £550.00, The ACU Ben Fund - £500.00, Parkinson’s UK - £200.00, The Brain Tumour Charity £250.00 and Julia’s House £250.00
We have some very generous members supporting our charities. The next fund-raising activity is for “Help Leo Keep Walking” on the 9th November.
For accounting purposes all Club assets are written down to “zero”.
Club Officers for 2020
A committee resignation was received from Gareth Plews. Gareth has agreed to retain the position of Environmental Officer.
The committee vacancy was not filled; however, all present were invited to attend committee meetings throughout the year to get involved with activities.
The Committee for 2020
- Hon Chairperson Mike Wiseman
- OTC Trials Organisers Jack Bryant
- Centre Championship TBA
- Summer Series Organiser Steve Earle
- Closed to Club Trials Organiser Mike Wiseman
- Easy/Fun Trial Organiser Dave Henvest
- Practice Organisers Ian Bird
- Awards Presentation and Awards Sue Saunders
- Minutes Secretary Maureen Latham
- Club Secretary Mike Wiseman
- Treasurer Mike Wiseman
- Membership Secretary Sue Saunders
- Child Protection Maureen Latham, Christine Hall
- Environmental Officer Gareth Plews
- Clerks of Course Bill Latham, Mike Wiseman, Steve Earle, Andy Somerton
Steve Shergold, Ian Ballard, Gary Blackmore, Gareth Plews
Steve Greenen, Andrew Bryant, Jack Bryant, John Denham.
- Technical Officers Steve Greenen, Bill Latham, John White, Steve Earle
Fees and Concessions for 2020
There will be no increase to fees or concessions in 2020, but a surcharge may be made for on the day entries for “Centre” events where pre-entry is available. This is to encourage advance entry an reduce delays at signing on for these events.
- Club Membership Single Member £15.00
- Club Membership Each additional member £ 5.00
- CTC Adult Entry £15.00
- CTC Youth Entry £ 8.00
- OTC Adult Entry £20.00
- OTC Youth Entry £10.00
- Senior member (Over 65) concession £12.00
- CTC – Observer £15.00
- OTC – Observer £ 20.00
- Summer Series, Easy or Beginners Observer No Payment made
Events to Be held in 2020
Club Championship 8 Rounds Mike Wiseman
Youth & Wobblers 6 Rounds Steve Earle and Steve Shergold
Easy Trials 4 Trials Dave Henvest
Open Trials 3 Events Jack Bryant, Jess Dominy
Centre Championships 2 Events TBC (Team Challenge)
Practice & Training TBC Ian Bird
Camping Weekends 2 TBC
The organiser of these events will contact members from the “Volunteers List” to solicit additional help if required.
We are planning to hold two Camping Weekends at Cadnam, an informal weekend in May and a traditional themed weekend in July.
Dates for 2020
These will be uploaded to the website and circulated to members as soon as they have been confirmed.
Venues for 2020
All existing venues will be used for the 2020 season.
We will develop further sections at Oakridge Copse with the help of a working party
We will also organise a mechanical digger to “sharpen up” sections in the pit at Hut Hill and have a cutting out session at Treefields Farm. Dates TBC after next committee meeting.
Members are asked to look out for new land suitable for Trials use that the Club can use and especially a venue suitable for a Centre Championship Round.
The primary method of communication to members will be through the Club Website.
This is the location to go to first for information.
We will copy everything to Facebook as per current practice and consideration will be given to setting up a Members only FB page.
The results page on the Website is currently being updated.
As in previous years the lack of observers is a problem.
Self marking is not ideal, but in the absence of volunteers it is what we must accept.
All we need is for every member to observe or provide an observer at just one trial each year.
One suggestion made is that in future we will nominate volunteer observers to sections that really do need an observer rather than say “just pick a section”. Simple idea, but a very good suggestion. We will also promote the Club “Bibbing Up” process for Open Trials.
The annual Awards Presentation, incorporating the presentation of the Southern Centre Trials awards, is being held on the 8th February at the Roddington Forge Music Club.
The awards will be sourced from Trophyman in Southampton.
Entertainment and an Awards presenter have been organised. Full details and invitations will be issued in November.
Summary of actions from the AGM
· Waltham Chase Trials MCC will remain affiliated to the ACU in 2020.
· All members will be solicited to register their assistance with all aspects of running the Club. Volunteers will be added to a “Volunteers List” (Marking out, signing on, cutting out etc etc) and used by event organisers. Please send replies to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us how you are able to help the Club.
· It was reiterated that on the Club Membership form all riders do sign up to provide an Observer at one Trial each year.
· Ian Bird will continue to compile the Club Championship tables.
· A new youth annual award is to be purchased to replace the Britain Trophy. This will be presented to the Best Youth “B” Club Championship rider. Steve Earle is to select and confirm name for the Trophy.
· Sam’s Catering and Lighter Bites will be our caterers for 2020. Members are asked to support the caterers by purchasing at least a coffee. “Use it or lose it”!
· The Classifications for all Club events are to be reviewed and reduced in number to make classes more manageable and competitive.
· New Flags are to be ordered for the 2020 Summer Series.
· Neil Etheridge was thanked for donating a generator to the Club for use in the Signing-On Caravan.
· The Summer Series is to be promoted to make sure that all members and riders feel able to take part. (Not just Wrinklers and Wobblers!)
· The Club is to seek “twinning opportunities” with a Club (or Clubs) from another area to share activities such as Camping Weekends. There was insufficient time to discuss in detail at AGM but the idea will be progressed.
· A second Facebook page was proposed, to be a member only page, with the current page to be used for general information. On the agenda for next committee meeting.
· Training days are to be considered for 2020. Formats and charges to be considered in line with the Stan Earle youth rider support proposal.
· A working party is to be organised to create two or three new sections at Oakridge Copse before year end.
· A fencing session is to be organised at Hut Hill by John Denham to replace part of the boundary fencing.
· Volunteers are to be sought to hold a Treefields Farm cutting out day in early 2020.
· Carl Barr and Neil Etheridge will organise a “Digger Day” at Hut Hill to sharpen some sections in and around the pit. A volunteer is required to manage the day. The Club will fund machinery hire etc.
· A proposal was made to reinstate lunch breaks at some trials. Reasons for and against were discussed with the decision made to “try it out” at a future event.
· Pete Brown has confirmed that he will store the Load Lugger for the next 12 months.
· The “Club Logo” challenge has been extended and will be reviewed early in 2020, with some additional designs received after the AGM.
· Maria James and family will devise and manage the theme for the July Camping Weekend.
· The “Bryant’s”, along with Tony Billingham and Gary Blackmore will manage the catering at the July Camping Weekend.
· There will be no formal activities or catering at the May Camping Weekend
· An ACU Off Road Regional Technical Seminar is planned for a Saturday in January 2020. Date to be confirmed. Ian Bird and Lloyd James will attend along with the Club’s expired licence holders
· The Southern Centre Championship is to be fully supported, publicised and promoted in 2020.
· Consideration is to be given to running the “Keith Marshall” as a Pre65 and Twin Shock Centre Round.
· Mike Wiseman and Ian Ballard will mark out for the Charity Trial being held on Saturday the 9th of November on Friday the 8th, meeting at 10.00am. Offers to assist appreciated.
· John Denham volunteered to take the Signing-On Caravan to Hut Hill on Saturday 9th November.
Date of Next Committee Meeting
Wednesday 20th November at The Ship Inn. 8.00pm.